Wednesday 10 February 2016

Death by homemade double chocolate cheesecake & custard



Mswednesdaysgirl_homemade_chocolate_cheesecake_and custard


I don't know why but I have been craving custard lately, day dreaming about it.
For the longest time I loathed the stuff. 
Powdered/ tinned is not an option for me but I even hated the homemade from scratch good stuff!

Then one glorious day in my in my 14th year. I reluctantly tried some and YES, It was amazing.
I have been dreaming of creamy vanilla and cinnamon infused custard oozing down the side of a no bake chocolate caramel cheesecake for the last two weeks and finally got around to making it.
It that usual? 
Cheesecake and custard-I don't know but it tastes mighty good.

Ingredients for custard:
250ml double cream
3 free range eggs
2 teaspoons mixed spice or cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 teaspoon caster sugar
1 vanilla pod (split and scraped)


Method:
  1. Whisk your eggs, corn flour, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon together in a bowl and pour into a new sauce pan.
  2. Heat the double cream in a sauce pan on a low heat then bring up to boiling point.
  3. When the double cream is hot pour into egg mixture slowly whilst continuously stirring (if you added the vanilla pod to cream remove it).
  4. Place the saucepan back on a low heat still stirring the custard mixture until it has thickened.
  5. keep at a low heat to avoid lumps. If it is too thick for you, add a little bit of milk/ cream and continue stiring away from the cooker.




On to the Cheesecake. 
If your house is anything like mine.
It is likely that you will have a fair few snacks leftover from christmas and new years.
Those ones just left to languish in the back of the cupboard because we just can't be bovved/ can't face to eat them any more.
A great way to get rid of your chocolately bits is to put them in desserts.

Ingredients for base and filling:

150g Oreo biscuits (remove stuffing)
70g of butter
150g dark chocolate (chopped/grated)
50g milk chocolate
400g cream cheese
100g caster sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
130ml cream cheese
*I also made a ganache topping, as you can see in the picture.
My design didn't go well. Lets not dwell on it lol!!*


Method:

Put your biscuit base into a food processor and pulse in to crumbs or into a food storage bag and bash until fine. Then add melted butter and 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder.
  1. Form base by pressing the mixture into tin of your choice. Leave in the freezer to set for at least an hour.
  2. If you haven't' eaten the oreo stuffing, you can smear this across the base. I also added some salted caramel spread as I wanted to use it up.
  3. Melt chocolate over a bain marie on a low heat. Allow to cool a bit.
  4. Leave cream cheese out of the fridge to soften and mix leftover cocoa powder, sugar and cooled down melted chocolate together.
  5.   Pour mixture into the base tin and chill in the fridge for a minimum 1 hour.
  6. Serve your sexy delicious cheesecake, bask in all the praise thrown at you.

And that's it guys chuck a few frozen berries on for texture , flavour and as part of your 5 a day .
I want to say this could serve 8-9  but in reality I  am going to say a serving of 6.

Enjoy


Smooches
Stephanie aka Wednesdays Girl
xoxo



Don't forget to come find me and  

No comments:

Post a Comment